Friday, May 17, 2013

Training and racing plans for summer and fall 2013

So since the end of my college career, I've had some time to think about what I want to do. I was actually looking forward to this kind of freedom with my training and racing again, after being so regimented at OU, and it's very liberating to be able to do whatever I want. If I didn't want to run, I don't have to, and the lack of external pressure makes it much easier to relax and enjoy my running. It also lets me plan to my leisure and take my time with getting back into shape. That being said, I've started running again, but I don't plan on seriously training for a bit.

This fall I want to concentrate on road races and exploring some relatively new territory. I'm going to focus on pure strength work all summer and fall to prepare for the Philly rock and roll half in September as my first big race. I'm not sure if I'll race at all before then, if there are any races around with enticing prize money that won't compromise preparation for the half marathon I might do one or two. My first foray at the half marathon two years ago went very well and I want to run a good PR. With that in mind, I plan on following a similar training schedule that I did to prepare for that race, with 100-110 mpw and two long aerobic workouts focusing on half-marathon endurance.

After Philly, my next big race will probably be the Rothman 8k. I enjoyed that race two years ago and the course was fast, being flat and having only one turnaround. I almost broke into the money when I ran that race, and with two more years of running under my belt I hope that I can move up from my previous 6th place and 24:20 time.

Besides those two local races, I'll look around the Philly and Baltimore/DC areas for any good road races. I think that I can run well from 5k thru half marathons with the kind of endurance work I'll put in for the half, and since there are (I believe) 9 weeks between those races I can squeeze in at least two or three more races, hopefully ones with some prize money. In the shorter term, I might even race the Kennett Run in a couple weeks just to see what kind of shape I'm in (subpar). That race offers decent money, but I doubt that I would win much without being in peak shape since it attracts some local Africans.

Like I said at the top, I am excited to be back on my own terms for training and racing. I'm definitely taking it easy for a week or two and getting my legs back under me. Then I'll get up to my goal mileage and after a few weeks start incorporating some workouts for the half marathon distance. Having Feeney and Hannagan to run with again is going to be a help and I hope that Feeney and I can work together to benefit each other for our respective events and goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment