Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Getting serious after a longish layoff

Now that it's June, I feel like I need to start taking running serious again. My first Big Race of this cycle will be the Philly half in mid-September. I want to start working out in early to mid-July, so if I can get a solid month of peak mileage in for all of June then I'll be on track to run well in the fall.

After this debacle of a track season, when in hindsight I was probably slightly detraining the whole time from where I was in the winter, I realize I have some work to do. If I can get back to the fitness I had on January 1 I'll be really happy. To that end, I'll try to do the mileage structure I did in the winter, getting over 100 mpw with 10 runs. I would love to get into good enough shape to hammer long runs like I was doing in December, but once the heat and humidity of Delaware summer sets in I doubt I'll be able to replicate those runs.

For the half marathon work, I really liked what I did two years ago to prepare for this race. I'll probably end doing most of the workouts alone, but I actually prefer it that way. When other people who have different goals are involved the workout can get corrupted and people tend to try and race unless there is a really good level of trust and you know the other person. For example I would be fine working out with Feeney, but he's in a different part of his training cycle and is training for a different event (Olympic distance tri) than I am. I could work out with Digennaro, but again I don't know if I want to risk buggering the workouts.

In any case I think the long LT-pace workouts that are necessary for half marathons are really good for general fitness and I believe that I'll get in good shape for any distance using those workouts, so after the half I bet I can jump in to some shorter, less taxing races and run well on the roads.

No comments:

Post a Comment