Sunday, April 29, 2012

NCTFA Nationals

This weekend was the second club meet that the UD club team went to this spring. The meet was held at Eastern Kentucky U, which was a fairly nice facility but the conditions, being the end of April in Kentucky, were hot, humid and sunny. The meet itself boiled down to a dual meet between us and Illinois, with a smattering of other club guys as well. They were set on the team title, which surprised us because they had all of their guys doubling or tripling just to pick up little points. We didn't do this and as a result lost the meet by a couple points.

I raced the 5k at 1:45 pm on Sunday. It was pretty awful weather for a distance race, and I had no intention of running for time. All I wanted was the win, which mas made easier by the other main contender (Mike Frigo of Illinois) running the 1500 on Saturday and the 800 two hours before the 5k. The race itself was boring; I led every step of the way and pulled away in the last lap for a comfortable win in 14:55. I regretted not running the 1500, because I'm sure I could have won that as well and still have taken the 5k. Regardless it was a slow, boring race that I ran strictly for position and to exert as little effort as possible.

Me, Teammate Mike O'Brian, Mike Frigo (Illinois)

That's the last 5k of the year for me. With the season winding down, I'll run either a 1500 or a mile this weekend and another 1500 at Swarthmore the first weekend of May to wrap up the season with a fast time. I have yet to take a serious shot at the 1500 and I know I can run around 3:50 in the right race.

No comments:

Post a Comment