Thursday, May 10, 2012

Kehoe Twilight Meet (UM)

It's actually been a week since this race, but I forgot about it since it was not exactly a highlight. Four guys on the team, including myself, drove down on May 3rd to race at Maryland's twilight meet, since we had a big gap in our racing schedules and wanted to get something in. We entered a little bit late, but the meet director seemed fine with it and let us in. I seeded myself at 3:50 in the 1500 in the hopes that it would be a fast race and I could get pulled along.

The fun began when we went to check in and I noticed that I was in the second (and slower) heat. This confused me, since it was a smaller meet and I didn't think that a 3:50 seed would put me 15th. I thought about asking the people in charge about this, but then a Navy guy started talking to us and said he would be rabbiting a teammate through 1200 in 3:00. Once I heard this, I figured that the first heat actually was that fast and that if everyone was seeded around 3:45 then maybe I should be in the second heat. Well, once the first heat went off I could immediately tell that that's where I should have been. The Navy guy ended up coming through 1200 in 3:06 (right where I wanted to be) with no one near him. The race was won in 3:56.

My race could not have been less eventful. I led wire to wire in the slow time of 3:57.5. Even during the race I was discouraged about the situation and after the first lap I mentally threw in the towel for a fast time. In hindsight I'm not too upset about it; racing is just one of those things where it's not going to be perfect every time out, but try it enough times and you'll eventually hit the perfect day.

No comments:

Post a Comment