Saturday, April 7, 2012

Colonial Relays 5k

I just got back from the Colonial Relays, hosted by William and Mary. The meet was a great success for the club runners that went. Three of the four of us PR'd and the fourth ran his second-best time. I got into the fast heat of the 5000m, seeding myself at 14:10. The workouts I've been doing indicated that that time would be a realistic goal to aim for.

The conditions were perfect and there was a rabbit thru about halfway running the pace I wanted (68s/lap) so I stuck on to that pack and gradually moved up as guys fell off. I hung in right on pace for about half way and then starting slipping, but closed pretty well to finish in 14:15. Watching the video, I got stuck behind a guy just long enough to break contact with the guys ahead of me and then I just lost it. A good time and right around where I thought I would run. The time is a school record and a seven second PR. My splits went something like 68 68 68 68 68 68 69 70 70 70 66 28.

In two weekends I plan on racing in the fast heat of the 5k at the Larry Ellis invitational. Last year I won the slow heat in 14:22 and the fast heat was won in under 14. My goal is just to try and maintain contact at that pace for as long as possible and see if I can keep it up a little bit longer than this week. Hopefully this will squeeze a couple more seconds out and I can run another PR.

No comments:

Post a Comment