Sunday, July 14, 2013

What a mature training week looks like

So now that it's mid-July I finally got around to getting a really good week of training under my belt. 2 hard workouts that were really big mileage days, a decent long run but for the heat and humidity and as much easy mileage as I could handle. Most importantly for me, I had the self-discipline to take a mega easy day yesterday between two big days when I was feeling trashed. I've heard it before, but it really is true: the hardest thing to do as a dedicated athlete is hold yourself back when you need it. Too often we get sucked into an obsessive-compulsive mindset and feel like we have to hold to a mileage schedule that we wrote out weeks or months in advance. Always remember, train to race, don't train to train.

Here is what I would call an ideal week at this point:

Monday - Recovery day: 9 + 6 double, core
Tuesday - Workout (hills, long intervals, long fartlek, tempo) + easy run (20 total)
Wednesday - Recovery day: 7 + 7 double, core
Thursday - Recovery day/easy mileage: 9 + 6
Friday - Workout (whatever I didn't do on Tuesday) + easy run (20 total)
Saturday - Recovery run: 8-10 easy jog + core
Sunday - Long run (Ideally around 2 hours, went a little shorter today due to heat/humidity)
Total = 110 +/-

I'm thinking about doing a hard-easy-easy schedule, with long runs and workouts being hard days. This would be a 9 day cycle, which I could do since I don't have a job yet so I don't have any reason to cram all of that into a week. The benefit of keeping a 7 day schedule is that it's what everyone else does so I would have company on the harder days, which always helps.

I'm also looking at some races in the near future, stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment