Monday, July 8, 2013

A transition period, and a trip to Maine to ease it in

At the beginning of this training cycle, I said that I would focus my efforts on Philly Rock and Roll half in mid-September. Counting back from then, I figured that starting workouts in July would give me enough time to get a bit of mileage under me and to get in really good shape by September. Now that it's July, I'm going to stick to it and get some workouts in. I'll probably do two weeks of transition (tempos and hills, nothing strictly timed) and then move into some hardcore half-marathon stuff like I did two summers ago. Two endurance workouts a week and a solid long run is the recipe I want to follow until September.

Even though I just said I would start buckling down and getting my twice a week workouts in, I still want to enjoy myself and make some memories this cycle. To that end, I decided somewhat on a whim to go up to Maine this past weekend to visit my friend who is up there for the summer on a pseudo-internship. I went up with another mutual friend and we stayed in his Once-A-Runner-style cabin in the woods. We stayed on a tiny island, which sucked for running (lots of loops, heat wave) but was a nice change and a very fun and relaxed few days. 

Now that I'm back from that little vacation, I really will get down to business, I promise. I'm also still working on getting a job and hopefully will hear back from somewhere soon. I'm actually still optimistic and think that I'll get the job I'm looking for eventually, but it might just take a while. In the meantime I'm looking around for some running-related part time jobs to pay the bills. I'll definitely be assistant coaching somewhere, maybe in two places, so that will be a cool little job on the side. 

No comments:

Post a Comment