Sunday, March 18, 2012

VCU meet and a new workout

This weekend was the first outdoor meet on my schedule. Our club team followed the women's schedule and went down to the Ram Invitational at VCU. I raced the 1500 and ran 3:54.88, and while it was a PR the time is clearly inferior to my indoor marks. I did not have high hopes for this race, since it was a relatively warm day, and I am not even close to acclimated to any kind of warmth (I felt terrible this week training in especially un-March-like conditions). Because of these self-imposed handicaps I was happy to get the win and not feel too bad during the race.

The real fun came afterwards. I had planned to run two workouts this week but after the first one on Tuesday went poorly I decided not to take chances and skip the second one and try and make race day a workout. To that end, I decided to take a page out of the Oregon Track Club training handbook and to a tempo run after the race. About 30 minutes and 1 slow mile after the race, I ran a 4 mile tempo on the roads around Richmond. It was extremely hot, the sun was high, I was dehydrated and, of course, tired from the race. Pretty obvious in hindsight, but I felt Bad. I might try this again if I skip a workout during the week but honestly this felt so badly (and I was running pretty slowly) that I would rather not try it again. Lessons learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment