Thursday, February 23, 2012

Another Mile at the Armory

Today was (probably) the last race of my 2012 indoor season and it concluded much the way that my last outdoor season did - with a solid race and a near-PR. This time it was over a mile and a PR and school record just wasn't in the cards. The race was set up for an Albany guy to get as near to 4:00 as possible. I was at the back of a line of 5 guys and Coach had me out in 59.8. I am just not that fast, at least not right now, and I fell off on the second quarter to 2:04 and from there it was just trying to hold contact to the guy ahead of me. I finished in 4:09.93 and it was definitely an all-out effort.
I definitely felt the fast first 440 for the rest of the race and I think if I had gone out a little bit more conservatively in 61.x, I would have been able to squeeze a few more seconds out. Of course, I also would have been by myself in the race, so I have no regrets about the way I ran. I just put myself in the race and hoped for the best, and eventually I'll hit a perfect race that is set up for me to run my best. For now, though, I want to take a break from racing until outdoor track starts and get a solid, uninterrupted training block in.

No comments:

Post a Comment