Sunday, November 19, 2017

Summer/Fall 2017

Big update here, more a life update than a running update. That's because I took the summer easy, got married August 4th, honeymooned with basically no running until August 18 and started back into real training after that.

After Pittsburgh in May, I was done for the spring both based on the schedule I had set out and because I was so disappointed in how poorly I had raced all spring, especially because there was a clear downward trend after the first big race in NYC. Since I was also getting married and going on a nearly two week long honeymoon in August, it made zero sense to try and train hard through a hot, humid summer only to take 2 weeks off. I trained very easily, running once a day for about 70 miles a week with no workouts. We had a pretty rough summer, so even that was plenty hard some days. With no running over the honeymoon I jumped back into running normally and started training with no real goal. In late September I decided to get serious and shoot for Philly Half in November. I got to work with much the same program as I had in the spring, even though that didn't go well. Obviously in hindsight this was in error - the old definition of insanity saying, right?

I ran about 100-110 mpw as much as I could, with my standard tempo and longer interval workouts. Even put in some real long runs of 17-19 miles with harder finishes. Unfortunately this never really addressed my main weakness, but the silver lining is that it gives me great base on which to build for the spring.

On the schedule still I've got the DEXC open this coming weekend, a low-key actual XC 5k. Later in December I've got a 5 miler in Baltimore (Celtic Solstice) which should also be pretty low-key.

Next entry will be a separate training analysis doing a deep dive in what I believe I need to alter for success in the coming seasons.


No comments:

Post a Comment