Tuesday, December 13, 2011

First workout back


After about 2 weeks I'm finally feeling good back at normal mileage. The last 2 weeks have felt like a long time, since I was feeling pretty bad most of those days and was basically waiting to get over it. 2 days ago (Sunday) I ran my first long run in a while and we cut the pace down well over the last few miles. I felt great and even felt good the next day, which was a fairly hilly run. Today I ran my first real workout of the new cycle with my roommate/training partner, Dan Feeney (danfeeney.blogspot.com). We ran a good session of hills at the Newark Reservoir, up a paved 0.35 mile hill. I was a little worried about this because my left plantar fascia has been giving me some trouble, along with my right achilles since I sprained that ankle a few weeks ago. I ended up feeling pretty good and focused on good form, driving off the back foot and not slouching, trying to look more like Chapa instead of Salazar:


I expect to be decently sore tomorrow, since I worked muscles hard that I haven't touched for a while. Since my legs have been feeling good lately I hope to continue this, and maybe do another workout like a long tempo run on Friday. As far as mileage, I'm currently in the low 100s so with quality workouts I think I'll be fine. I don't want to start working out too hard yet; low intensity but high volume. I plan on training for the half marathon for probably the next month. Regarding plans for indoor, if I think I'm in good shape in February then I might attempt a fast 5k but I won't attempt to peak for anything until April. Other than that, low-key races and maybe use a 10-miler in January as a good workout with Feeney.

No comments:

Post a Comment